At 10 Minutes
- 10 Teaspoons of sugar hit your system. The phosphoric acid in the pop cuts the overwhelming taste of sugar, which prevents vomiting.
- Blood sugar rises quickly which turns up your insulin. The liver goes into overdrive and responds by changing every possible sugar particle into fat.
- The caffeine in the Coke has now been completely absorbed. Your blood pressure rises, your pupils dilate and then your liver dumps even more sugar into your blood stream. As a result, your normally drowsy reaction to sugar is now blocked.
- The pleasure center of the brain increases dopamine. This reaction is similar to heroin, FYI.
- The acid is the soda binds to calcium, magnesium, and zinc in your intestinal tract. This provides even more of a metabolism boost. This reaction pushes calcium out of the body, which can be related to osteoporosis.
- Your body begins to push out fluids. This shuttles out calcium, magnesium and zinc. You also lose sodium, electrolytes, and water.
- Next comes the crash. As your body calms, the sugar crash hits. You become tired, sluggish, and possibly angry. By now, you've pushed out all of the Coke product, along with precious minerals, water, and electrolytes. Finally, you're dehydrated, you've robbed your teeth and bones of calcium, and your tired and cranky.
From a dental standpoint, current research has shown that all pop, including diet versions, contains citric acid, which has now been shown to dissolve enamel and increase the risks of dental decay! While eliminating this very popular drink from your diet may not be very realistic, understanding its impact upon your health and limiting its consumption, may be the "Best Thing" when enjoying the "Real Thing!" If you have any questions or are in need of a dental appointment, call our office at 918-455-0123!