HALLOWEEN SAFETY TIPSThough the night is full of fun and festivity, children can be particularly vulnerable to lurking dangers on Halloween. The Tulsa Police Department would like to offer several tips to ensure that everyone has a safe celebration.
- Children should trick-or-treat with an adult
- Trick-or-treat in areas that are well lit
- Cross streets at corners, using traffic signals and crosswalks where available
- Look left, right and left again when crossing
- Walk on sidewalks or paths; if there is no sidewalk, walk facing traffic as far to the left as possible
- Wear light-colored costumes decorated with reflective tape or stickers
- Carry a flashlight or glow stick to increase visibility to drivers
- Only eat treats and candy that are properly wrapped in their original packaging after being checked by an adult
- It's also a good idea to carry a cell phone while trick-or-treating in case of an emergency
- When possible trick-or-treat in groups
- Be alert in residential neighborhoods
- Drive more slowly and anticipate heavy pedestrian traffic
- Remember that costumes can limit children's visibility and they may not be able to see a moving vehicle
- Enter and exit driveways slowly and carefully
If you participate in the holiday, stay safe!