It's not clear what causes TMD. However, there are several factors which include obesity, stress and pressure on the jaw, or a misaligned bite, where the upper and lower teeth don't fit together when you close your mouth.
TMD can affect your life and your health by making it painful to eat and hard to sleep. Some people even find the nagging pain difficult to bear.
TMD SYMPTOMS MAY INCLUDE:
- Recurring headaches with no other cause
- Pain along and behind the ears
- Pain in your cheeks or lower face
- Clicking noises when you talk or chew
- Tired or sore jaw muscles after eating
- Limited jaw movement
TMD TREATMENTS MAY INCLUDE:
- Relaxation and stress reduction techniques
- Pain reduction recommendations, which may involve medication
- Jaw joint exercises that can help reduce stress
- Dental guards